Henty, the Home of the Header
Please press on the links in the table below to be taken to information on that subject.
Brief History of Henty
1835 Settlement commenced in the area.
1836 Squatters were allowed to lease Crown Land.
1840 The area formerly known as Dudal Comer ( Aboriginal for sweet water )
1850 Mr Thomas Keighran noted as holding the lease to Dudal Comer.
1864 Fatal shooting of Sergeant Smyth by Mad Dog Morgan.
1868 German families trekked from South Australia settling here.
1879 Railway from Wagga to Albury passes through Henty.
1882 Johann Klemke selects 360 acres of the station Dudal Comer.
1884 J H Rosler applies for special lease of two acres to open a store.
1885 "Doodle Comer" Rail Siding constructed and Rosler opens first store.
1886 Land Department authorised a survey on which Henty was eventually established.
1886 First Post Office opened.
1888 Henty Officially named as a Village.
1889 "Doodle Cooma Arms Hotel" built by J Rosler & P Wagner.
1892 First school.
1895 Government Dam excavated, to supply water to trains.
1897 First Bank, Bank of NSW.
1899 First permanent police officer appointed.
1914 First public demonstration of the H.S. Taylor Header
The machine that revolutionised world agriculture.
1963 First Henty Machinery Field Days held.
Henty being the Home of the Header, an appropriate photo above taken in 1914 shows the locals stacking wheat, the end result of the header in action.
Rough Location Map
The Up Button takes you to the Home Page
Albury Local Internet accepts no responsibility for and makes no claims as to the accuracy of any content.
For any correction, change or update, please email email@example.com or call 02-6040-3000.