AN ALBURY WODONGA AWARD WINNING TOURIST ATTRACTION
Above is the appealing little weatherboard building being the original Post Office for the area known as Huon, which was between Jindera and Burrumbuttock. Two of the original furnishings of the Post Office are the cane letter basket, shown above middle below a hole in the wall to push the letters through, which would then fall into the basket. In the top left hand corner of the middle photo you can see some of the stamps issued at the time. On the right is the original primitive wooden cupboard. Inside the Post Office is the day book and various postal implements.
Within the extensive grounds of the museum there has been reproduced the farm oven, above right, made from local bricks and used to cook everything from bread to evening meals.
Above left is the hansom Spanish Mahogony Sideboard which came from the residence of Miss Cecile D'Arcy, whose ancestors came out on the First Fleet as aide to Governor Phillip. The cake under the glass dome was made in 1909 on the occasion of the wedding of Mr and Mrs Harry Friederich. The cake still stands on the mahogony sideboard.
The Cottage Gallery, showing many paintings of local artists, and period costumes and jewellery.
Two of the magnificent old farm machines, a Chaff Cutter and a Harvestor.
1825- Johann Herman Rosler born at Minden, Germany.
1841- Peter Christian Wagner born at Oberellenbach, Germany.
1854- J H Rosler lands in Adelaide.
1864- P C Wagner lands in Melbourne.
1874- Rosler and Wagner start a store in Jindera using the present tea rooms as the store and the three rooms behind as the dwelling.
1874- 1905- First the North Wing of the residence is built, and later the South Wing is added.
1884- J H Rosler leaves the partnership and starts a store at a site which is now the town of Henty.
1906- Present store and adjoining storeroom built.
1914- P C Wagner retires from the store and son Gustav takes over.
1927- P C Wagner dies.
1950- Gus Wagner dies.
1951- Store sold to Arthur Burdack
1958- Store Closed.
1967- Jindera Pioneer Museum and Historical Society formed, and the store, residence and grounds purchased and restored to its old world charm by a committee of volunteer workers.
1968- Jindera Pioneer Museum opened by Sir Russell Drysdale.
1982- Museum wins NSW Museum of the Year Award.
1984- The Cottage Gallery constructed in the grounds.
BUS TOURS AND THE TEA ROOMS
The Pioneer Museum is open to everybody, but for Travelling Tour Buses we provide a special tour and an afternoon or morning tea served in our historical Tea Rooms.
To avail youselves for this service, please ring for details.
0260 263 622
WHEN IN ALBURY WODONGA PLEASE COME AND SEE THIS AWARD WINNING TOURIST ATTRACTION
The Up Button takes you to the Home Page
Albury Local Internet accepts no responsibility for and makes no claims as to the accuracy of any content.
For any correction, change or update, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02-6040-3000.